Tropic Thunder: The Return of Blackface?

Posted by mmog37 | 11:04 AM | , , | Comments





Early this year on another of my blogs I mentioned this movie. I knew once I had seen the premise that someone was going to have a problem with Robert Downey Jr. playing the role of a black person.

Personally having seen some of the movie already I happened to find it hilarious. Anyone familiar with Ben Stiller knows that no one is off limits when it comes to making fun of people...especially on this go round where the real targets are actors.

I was prepared to hear some flack about Downey being made up as and acting like a black person, I was surprised to see the real fallout was over the repeated use of the word retard. I'm pretty sure that Tropic Thunder is far from being politically correct...but most Hollywood comedies aren't...I think that sometimes that's what makes people laugh.

Maybe that's what people need to do more...laugh at themselves instead of just sitting on the edge of their seats waiting for someone to say something offensive so they can raise up in protest.